Using the Internet for Writing

Oh, the internet. The good, the bad, and the ugly that you offer. On the upside, you can search for literally anything and find some resources. When I say "anything," I mean anything! Ways to dispose of a body, or layout of a WWII POW camp, or bushcraft survival. It's all out there if you look.

On the downside, those resources may be complete garbage. I think that with all things in life, you take what's helpful and ignore the rest. AI is again very helpful and hurtful at the same time. The dead giveaway is when they mispronounce an obvious word. Crystal clear images from 1932? Probably not real. As always, double and triple-check your sources!

I have too many favorite websites to pick just one. Best of all, they're free! 

I write a lot about international destinations, none of which I can afford to visit yet. Sigh. There's a lot to be learned through internet research. Travel blogs are of particular help since they're folks who are just (usually) talking about their experiences.

Historical videos are a great tool, too. But there's a next step! I like to read the comments, because that's where random people tell stories that help bring a new perspective to what I'm writing about. "My grandma was a Rosie (the Riveter) and she told me..." gives some depth to the topic.

Merriam-Webster.com is an online version of both a dictionary and a thesaurus. And they have great word-based games to play when I need a break. I also follow them on social media, and they share some funny word-related stuff!

YouTube has great (and terrible) videos on writing. I have discovered tutorials about stuff I never knew existed and how it could help me. I love Kat Clay, Jane Kalmes, John Matthew Fox of Bookfox, Alyssa Matesic, Alexa Donne, and Ellen Brock. There are countless channels- find the ones you like and have at it. 

Several Facebook sites are helpful, too.

  • Writers Write has great, short pieces on writing skills from basic to advanced.
  • Writers Helping Writers has great databases of descriptions and lists of colors/sounds/smells, and synonyms.
  • Specialized Facebook groups like Trauma Fiction, Crime Fiction Writers, and Military Writers Group can help answer specialized questions.








Comments

Popular Posts