The Most Important Beverage in Writing

Coffee. With every ounce of energy in my weary body, I will tell you right now that coffee is the most important, most influential beverage in writing.

"But, Fred," you say, "what about liquor? The beer you love so much? What about Hemingway?" Nope, not even close.

See, here's the thing. Writing is about details and intentional choices. It's about using the right word, or carefully sharing the clue to a mystery, or describing a scene. Doing that while you're drunk is harder than you'd think. Not to say that ideas don't come when I'm out socializing- they do. But I don't pretend to write complete manuscripts or even paragraphs at that point. I'm much more likely to jot down a note or send myself a text and look at it in the morning.

Coffee allows me to put down words when it's dreary and rainy outside and all I want to do is take a nap. Coffee warms my fingers when it's cold in the house. Coffee keeps me going when it's late afternoon and I'm on a roll and don't want to stop. If I sat at my computer and drank a beer during those moments, I'd be fast asleep and type something like "dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd" as my face lay on the keyboard. It would not be helpful.

I grew up in an old-school family and drinking coffee, black coffee to be precise, was the norm. I started drinking coffee when I was maybe 14 years old- maybe earlier, it was a long time ago. Between that and my family's love of reading, I think I was destined to write.

Coffee- A Poem                                                   

Java. Joe. Coffee black                                          
Sustainer of life                                        
Bringer of energy                                                 
My groggy soul longs for you                                                             
Burning my lips, my tongue,                                                              
my heart
Burn away bitter prince
You are home

Coffee- A Limerick

Coffee is strong and dark
I drink it all day in the park
Sometimes it's hot
And sometimes it's not
 So I'll get some more on a lark 

 Coffee- A Haiku    

Dark and bitter  
It brings my soul to life  
Forever grateful 








Comments

Popular Posts