Reading With New Eyes (Revisited)

 In June of 2020, I wrote a blog post about how as a new writer I was reading books differently than I used to. What I know now, is how little I knew then. And it's my own fault! I knew I had a lot to learn and thought I was smart enough to absorb it by reading a variety of books in my genre. 

I was wrong.

I've met a few successful authors and I always ask them the same question: What advice would you give a new author? Every single one of them has said the same thing: Keep learning the craft. 

Well, if authors who have sold 100 million books all give me the same advice, I'd be a fool not to listen. So I started my education all over again. I'm a fair technical writer and have years of experience in educational research, but creative writing is a whole new thing. Three-act structure? Distinct language traits? Show, don't tell? My goodness, even the basics were daunting!

Last fall I attended the Bouchercon International Mystery Writers Convention. If you're trying to learn the craft of mystery/thriller/suspense novel writing (and it's in Minneapolis), you can't pass it up. Holy smokes, it was amazing. Panel discussions, spotlight interviews with top authors, and sitting in a bar surrounded by other writers were just a few of the educational opportunities.

One of the books I picked up there (I think I came home with seven) was "How to Write a Mystery" from the Mystery Writers of America, edited by Lee Child and Laurie R. King. Short, insightful chapters on specific topics related to mystery writing written by veteran, successful authors. William Kent Krueger on setting? Yes, please. Charlaine Harris on crossing genres? Did they know I was doing this?

I also joined a group called "Sisters in Crime." Any group whose slogans include "Killin' it since 1986" and "Crime Doesn't Pay...Enough" has my attention. They also have great resources, including a web session hosted by one of my new favorites, Catroina McPherson. She talked about leaving clues in your mystery ... and I took copious notes.

So, what's my point? Now, I actually know some of what I'm looking for! I was near the end of  Nevada Barr's "Track of the Cat" when Catroina was doing her session. I had to go back and reread it with my new eyes. Sure enough, I could see how she dropped the clues and the red herrings. It was truly insightful.

Then I read Brad Metzler's "The Inner Circle," which I enjoyed as much as I've enjoyed a book in years. But at the same time, I could see his misdirection and pacing. Again, insightful.

There's an old educational theory that says we don't learn from experience, we learn by thinking about the experience. I've never felt it more than I do now. I owe that knowledge to the generosity of other writers, so THANK YOU!




 



Comments

Popular Posts