Bittersweet

 It's a well-known fact that I work in a great thrift store. The best and worst part of what I see every day is our book department. For something that's "going to disappear," you would never guess it by the volume and variety of donations we get. One day it's a box of 1980s romance novels, the next it's 200 kids' books, the next it's something that's still on the best seller list. What makes it "the worst" is that my access to inexpensive books is becoming problematic. I can stop any time I want!

A while ago, someone asked me how I'd feel if I saw my books in a donation pile. I laughed, and answered, "as long as I'm living in my retirement house in the Bahamas, I'm fine with it." I'm kidding, of course, the Bahamas are far too hot for me. 

But then it happened- someone donated a set of my books! I know the woman who donated them because I work with her. She had shared them with others several times and simply doesn't keep books when she's done with them, so that part's all good. But I suddenly had to deal with the reality of it. My babies were going onto the thrift store shelf!

I watched from afar as our book lady did her thing. She handled them as she should: with tender loving care. She priced them like any other, and onto the shelf they went. Would anyone be interested, or would they have to be disposed of because nobody cared? 

OMG, the thoughts running through my head! It's one thing to know they're available through Amazon, but to see my three little books on the shelf? Yikes! My head was full of thoughts I'd never expected to have. 

By the time I got home, I was in a better place. Every day I see books by Stephen King, JK Rowling, and a few other authors you may have read. Eventually, books end up in thrift stores and at garage sales. It's just part of the circle of life.

The next day I went out and looked for them. I figured I should get a picture for my records. First I looked in the Minnesota authors section. Then I searched in the fiction area. Then in the end-cap with hot, new releases. My heart began to pound again- they were nowhere to be found. As luck would have it, the next person I talked to was the woman who initially donated them. Conveniently, she had been the cashier who sold them to someone. They sold right away! The guy even had nice things to say about how appealing my blurb on the jacket was! My heart swelled!

A small roller coaster of emotion in my little world. Hopefully, it's a sign of things to come. The day when I can look back from my retirement home (wherever that may be) and enjoy the fact that someone thought my work was worth reading. Sigh...life is good.

      I had to settle for a picture from my collection. 



Comments

  1. Great series, have my set in my book case. Nothing says fame like having your books snarfed up when they go to a thrift store ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts